Home > Uncategorized > Kerning


The technical typesetting term for letter spacing. The space between letters differs between fonts and (in a properly crafted font) between different character combinations.

The subtle adjustment of letter spacing is only possible with a typesetting program like Adobe InDesign (in comparison, MS Word has the subtlety of a sledgehammer). Such adjustment is a key tool used in copy fitting but needs handling with care.

This definition is extracted (and expanded on) from the book Getting Published: A Companion for the Humanities and Social Sciences by Gerald Jackson and Marie Lenstrup. It was first referred to in the blog Getting Published in a post on calculating book length.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. Shadrick Lungu
    July 6, 2016 at 10:31 am

    I did a manuscript on an Apple Ipad, because it was convenient to carry around. I then emailed the document to my laptop where I use Microsoft word. The spaces between the letters have doubled. I am trying to covert the same to the “normal” Microsoft word document but I am failing. For example a word like “appropriate” is appearing as
    “a p p r o p r i a t e”. Could someone help please.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: